Friday, November 19, 2010

Accelerators and Technology Evolution

Benjamin from […], NC - Oct 19 6:24PM

Dr. Syphers,

Hello, my name is Benjamin and I am currently a Junior at […] in North Carolina. I have always had a strong interest in the mathematics and science. I plan to pursue my interest in these subjects by studying some sort of engineering while in college. I have found your work with particle accelerators very interesting. It is a topic I do not know much about but I cannot wait to learn more about it in the upcoming weeks. While you currently hold a PhD you originally graduated from Indiana many years prior. In your biography you state that you worked as a teacher and at Fermilab prior to receiving your Masters and then PhD. I was wondering if you ended up getting your PhD in the same topic that you majored in and why you felt it necessary to get a higher degree. I would like to thank you for participating in the Adopt-A-Physicist program, I am sure I am going to learn a lot over these next few weeks and so will everyone else in the program.

Thank you,

Benjamin

Re: Benjamin from [...], NC - Oct 19 11:11PM

Hello, Benjamin,

Yes, all of my three degrees were in Physics, although the Bachelor's degree was in physics education (teaching). As for "why" I wanted the PhD, it was sort of two-fold. First of all, I enjoyed the job that I had at the time -- working at Fermilab in its Main Control Room -- and so I knew that if I went back to school I could work there (or other labs) and continue to get better positions and better pay. But, secondly (probably more importantly), I also just wanted to learn physics. I wanted to better understand how the physical world works and how it's all related. I probably would have wanted to study this subject, even if there were no degrees or jobs involved! But, it certainly helps when someone wants to pay me for it! ;-)

Cheers,
-Mike

Re: Re: Benjamin from [...], NC - Oct 27 10:44PM

Dr. Syphers,

Could you explain to me your work with the particle accelerators and how you feel your research has/will make the world a better place, or do you believe we are still in the early stages of just needing to understand the world before we can even begin to improve it?

Since I am rather interested in math and science, what classes do you suggest I take in my senior year? I also know however that classes are not everything, do you have any other advice for how I should go about my next few years?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Benjamin

Re: Re: Re: Benjamin from [...], NC - Oct 28 12:15AM

Hi Benjamin,

Let me try to answer in a couple of ways. First off, I work on large particle accelerators that are used for basic research -- like trying to understand the basic building blocks of nature. However, there have been many, many "spin-offs" of accelerator research over the years. For instance, devices that are used in medicine, such as CAT scans, PET scans, and proton therapy cancer treatment utilize particle beams; accelerators are used in food sanitation and in such industrial applications such as making shrinkable plastics (like the plastic wrap that you find on all kinds of packages these days). And, in fact, the TV set you had in your home as a child (or maybe even still have) -- before "flat panel TV's" came out -- were particle accelerators! So, you can say that the results of the basic research may be decades away from influencing every day life (like, how do we use neutrinos in our home life?), but the development of accelerators and their associated systems have always found other applications that have had very big effects on our world.

Secondly, I do think that my efforts to help build and operate accelerators like, for instance, the Tevatron at Fermilab will end up in the long run having an impact on civilization and making the world a better place. It's hard right now to tell what that will be -- it may take many years for the results of our experiments to lead to new technologies, for instance. But, I played a role in it, so that's very satisfying to know. Of course, several thousand people have worked on the Tevatron over the years, so mine was just a small part of that. But we each have our role to play, and it took all of us to make it happen. Now, I get to do it again at MSU with our new accelerator here.

OK, as for your classes and advice… With your interest, I would try to take any/all science and math that the school offers. Is there a "second year" or AP physics course? Do you have calculus courses at your school? Take what you can. I think the MOST important thing is to find what you enjoy and are good at, and pursue that with all the passion you can muster up. Even if you're good at something, if you don't enjoy doing it it will always feel like "work". If, however, you love what you do, then you'll never have to "work" at all.

Do you have any special hobbies, sports, other interests?

Cheers,
-Mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: Benjamin from [...], NC - Oct 31 9:50AM

Dr. Syphers,

Wow, I never knew how particle accelerators are used in all aspects of today's life.

Yes I do plan on taking a second year of Physics, Advance Topics In Physics, I believe that course is called. I am currently taking Pre-Calculus and next year I plan to take AP Calc. I have to definitely agree with you that the most important thing is to do what you love to do.

I co-direct the school's morning news program. While it is pretty stressful to get the show ready every morning, it is a lot of fun and I am really learning how to run an "organization" and solve different problems that arise.

I have a big love for technology and I can explore my interest in the morning news program and in a class I am taking called "Computer and Network Essentials". Five years ago my school began a one-one tablet to student program. Each student has his/her own tablet PC. This gives me another outlet to explore with technology. In the Computer and Network Essentials class, we help the IT department with student computer problems. I also play on the Varsity Baseball team and play the violin.

While I can only imagine that you are rather busy, what other hobbies to you have?

Thank you.

Benjamin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Benjamin from [...], NC - Nov 01 12:22AM

Hi Benjamin,

That's great to hear about what all you're involved in. When I was in high school I was the Managing Editor and then Editor-in-Chief of our school newspaper. I went to a large school, and our paper was written, typeset (pre-computer days, if you can imagine), laid-out, and printed in our school -- 8 page paper (standard newspaper size) every week. It was a lot of work, and I enjoyed it immensely. But, when it came time to chose a future direction, science won out for me. I, too, did sports -- cross country, basketball, and tennis.

And, I'll tell you too, that keeping active in lots of stuff keeps your body (including brain) in shape for doing the things you enjoy the most.

Cheers,
-Mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Benjamin from [...], NC - Nov 07 9:00AM

Dr. Syphers,

It sounds like you were quite busy when you were in high school.

Technology has/is really becoming a big part in our society, as a means of communication and such, besides for the actual particle accelerator, would you say you use technology such as computers and smart phones on a daily basis. How much has technology changed since you received your PhD in 1987?

Thanks!

Benjamin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Benjamin from [...], NC - Nov 07 4:33PM

Hi Benjamin,

I use computers and smart phones and skype and internet and all of that on a daily basis. Probably, more of an "hourly" basis. I'm typing this on my Macbook Pro, over my wireless internet at my home while I watch a Netflix film being streamed over my home network to my HD TV. So yes, technology has changed a lot -- I mean, A LOT! -- since 1987. Back then, personal computers were relatively new. The computer that I had used 48KB of memory, compared to 4 GB (= 48,000,000 KB) today and ran more than 3000 times slower than today's computers. It wasn't a "windowing" type of computer; you had to type in commands line-by-line. Email was very new, and only accessible by people at National Labs and government agencies. The web hadn't been invented yet, so there were no such things as "web pages" and such. If I wanted to talk to someone by telephone and they lived outside of my community, I had to pay maybe about 50 cents a minute or more to talk to them (long distance telephone). Cell phones were nonexistent, except that a few extremely rich business people had them (from what I saw on TV and in the movies!). CD's had just become available to the masses in about 1986; before that we all had vinyl record albums and record players with diamond-tipped needles. No iPods; no GPS; no DVD or Blue Ray; no … I remember my sister and her husband had a garage door that could be opened by "remote control". That was pretty cool! The list of changes since 1987 is HUGE!

I must say, one of the best things about being in the physics work world, and working at national labs and universities, is that you often get to be the first to use such technology as it is developed. For example, by the time people started using AOL email accounts in the mid-1990's, I had already been using email for about 10 years at the National Labs to communicate with other scientists. And the web was invented by physicists at CERN in Europe in 1991. The two very first web sites in the U.S. were at SLAC and at Fermilab, two high energy physics labs, in 1991-2. (I guess they needed two, so that they could check out how to "link" them to each other!)

Never a dull moment!

-Mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Benjamin from [...], NC - Nov 07 9:07AM

Dr. Syphers,

On Thursday my school was invited to the IMAPS (international microelectronics and packaging) symposium (http://www.imaps.org/imaps2010/index.htm). My school opened it up to 20 or so interested students and I went along with 12 others. It was rather interesting experience, I got to speak to many different companies involved in the business. Prior to the conference I really did not know much at all about the microelectronics packaging industry, but I learned a lot and really enjoyed it. For the businesses involved it was really a time to learn from the others in the industry.

Are there similar events in your line of work?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Benjamin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Benjamin from [...], NC - Nov 07 4:34PM

Hi Benjamin,

Yes, we have lots of events like that. Physicists spend quite a bit of time communicating with each other at conferences and such events. I will be going to the U.S. Particle Accelerator Conference in New York City this Spring, for instance. About 2000 scientists and engineers who work on accelerators or in the field of accelerator science will gather for a week and have meetings and talks and discussions about their work with each other. This particular conference meets every two years, at different places around the country; but there are several other conferences too, that report on the results of experiments that use the accelerators, for instance. It is very important to reflect on your own work and share it with others, and to hear about what they have been doing. Conferences like this are very useful part of the job, and great things to participate in.

Cheers,
-Mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Benjamin from [...], NC - Nov 08 9:42PM

Dr. Syphers,

So it seems that the Adopt-a-Physicist program is about to come to an end. I would like to thank you for the your time and the interesting conversation we have had, I have really learned a lot about your field of work and how things have changed even for just the short time that you have been in your area of study.

I never realized how the work you are doing with the particle accelerators, will have such large effects on our world in the near future. I think its really cool how you have been on the leading edge of technology for the past couple of decades. I could go on with you for years about my love for technology and my opinions on the latest technologies but time doesn't allow it. I also appreciate your advice towards my future in college and beyond. I had a great experience communicating with you.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Benjamin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Benjamin from [...], NC - Nov 08 11:06PM

Hi Benjamin,

I'm happy that I've had an opportunity to chat with you and all the other students. When I was your age I had no real opportunity to "talk" to scientists about their work day or their lives or things like that. I think it's a great thing to be able to do, and the internet makes it so easy.

Good luck with your school year, and -- when you're thinking about college -- check out MSU! ;-)

Cheers,
-Mike

No comments: